Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information

For the latest information and guidance related to the coronavirus (COVID-19), please visit our resource page.
Skip to content

Basic Food, Employment and Training Program (BFET)

Employment and Training for Students Who Receive Food Assistance

Are you receiving basic food assistance? The Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET) program can help you get the training you need for a better paying job and economic security. The program is a partnership between the Department of Social and Health Services, community and technical colleges, and community-based organizations.


You may qualify if:


Services vary depending on the college you attend. You may receive: 

  • Personal assessment and career planning.
  • Tuition assistance applied to a vocational certificate or non-transfer associate degree. BFET does not apply to transfer degrees or four-year degrees.
  • Adult education for foundational skills in reading, writing and math.
  • GED® preparation and English language instruction.
  • High School 21+ , a new high school completion program for students over age 21.
  • Case management.
  • Job search help.
  • Support services for childcare, housing, transportation, clothing, supplies and other job-related expenses.

Get Started

 To get started, contact a BFET coordinator at your local community or technical college.

Apply for Food Assistance

To apply for Basic Food assistance, visit the Department of Social and Health Services' Basic Food website.

Start Next Quarter

Find out whether you qualify for the Basic Food, Education and Training Program at Start Next Quarter. If your college is not on the list, contact the college directly.

Page Manager:
Last Modified: 3/2/20 11:26 AM

starburst graphic