The Administrators of Color Leadership Program is designed for community college educators of color (full time faculty, program managers/directors or those in an associate dean/dean position) in Washington's community and technical college system whose career interest focuses on assuming increasingly more responsible administrative positions, with the ultimate goal of becoming an executive leader of a community college. The program is intended to develop a pool of highly qualified Administrators of Color, and to assist them in attaining high-level positions in our community and technical college system, thus creating a more robust pipeline to executive level positions.
Program participants will gain leadership skills and strategies through the following:
- Understanding leadership competencies required of aspiring leaders.
- Understanding the role of critical race theory, cultural competence, equity, inclusive education and diversity as related to leadership as Administrators of Color.
- Understanding the role of leadership in student success - challenges and opportunities.
- Understanding change leadership within higher education.
- Understanding their own leadership style and capabilities, professional development needs, and develop a plan to achieve their desired career goals.
|Retreat||Date and Location|
|Summer Retreat||Aug. 19-21, 2019 - Semiahmoo Resort, Blaine|
|Fall Retreat||Oct. 29-30, 2019, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. - Davenport Hotel, Spokane|
|Winter Retreat||Jan 23-24, 2020, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. â€“ Hotel Interurban, Tukwila|
|Spring Retreat||Apr. 21-22, 2020, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. â€“ Holiday Inn Downtown, Yakima|
Past Retreat Materials
Advisory Board and Participants
Membership information including Advisory Council contacts and current year participants.
Currently a full time faculty member, program manager/director or in an associate dean/dean position in Washington State's community and technical college system.
All participants are required to attend all four retreats, as this interaction supports both the the cohesion and relationship-building of the participants. The fall retreat is where mentor/mentee pairing will take place.
The program includes:
- Four face to face meetings (summer, fall, winter and spring).
- Professional career plan preparation.
- Critical Race Theory/Racial Formation Theory frameworks.
- Detailed assessment of leadership skills.
- Networking with System leaders and other Administrators of Color.
Registration is now closed for the 2019-20 Administrators of Color Leadership Program.
Contact the Advisory Board
Last Modified: 3/4/20 11:12 AM